Are you looking for a gluten free, dairy free, vegan, or low sugar dessert? Something great for kids and adults alike? Or maybe a new way to get some healthy omega-3 fatty acids? I am very excited to share with you a dessert I just made that not only tastes good but has many healthy properties too, thanks to CHIA SEEDS!
Have you heard of chia seeds? They are an incredible superfood that is regaining popularity. I am going to share with you some information about this amazing little seed and then share with you a great recipe I found to start you on your own path to loving this healthy little seed!
What Are Chia Seeds?
Chia is an edible seed that comes from the desert plant salvia hispanica that grows abundantly in southern Mexico. While it’s true that they are the same seeds that you may have seen on Chia Pets years ago, historically they were once a main component of the Incan, Mayan, and Aztec cultures.
Health Benefits of Chia Seeds
Chia seeds are an incredible superfood! Here are a few of their health benefits:
- Very rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which most of us tend to be deficient in
- High in protein, calcium, potassium, and iron
- Contain the trace mineral boron, which helps transfer calcium into the bones
- Higher in antioxidant strength than blueberries
- Great source of fiber
Why I Love This Dessert
Since the chia seeds soak up water, they work like tapioca pearls in this dessert. While the finished pudding may look “interesting”, it does taste very good! Here are some other reasons I love this dessert.
- It is super easy to make! Takes just a few minutes to combine the ingredients.
- No baking – which makes for part of the easiness, as well as less clean up.
- Great snack for kids. Has enough hint* of sweetness for them but without a lot of sugar – and it provides some important nutrients via the chia seeds.
- Great for many dietary restrictions; it is gluten free, dairy free, vegan, and low sugar.
(I use all organic ingredients.)
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 6 pitted medjool dates
- 7 ounces coconut milk
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- dash of salt
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- Soak pitted dates in the hot water for 15 minutes.
- In a blander, combine dates, soaking liquid, coconut milk, cocoa powder, and salt. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and add chia seeds and almond milk. Whisk to blend.
- Cover and refrigerate eight hours or overnight, whisking once or twice.
Other Ways to Use Chia Seeds
- Sprinkle on salads or mix with your homemade salad dressing.
- Add to sauces, bread batters, and smoothies.
- Add to baked goods such and cookies, breads, and muffins.
- Sprinkle over veggies.
- Add to juice or water.
Where to Buy Chia Seeds
(If you like this article, share it with your friends by using the buttons below!)
Wendy – ParentingTips365.com
Read all the posts in the Healthy Living series by clicking on the icon on the left.
[This article contains affiliate links that may support Parentingtips365.]